Any certified staff member who is dissatisfied with his summative evaluation may request a hearing. In compliance with 704 KAR 3:345, Section 7 and KRS 156.101, the Graves County Schools shall provide for the following:
· Right to a hearing as to every appeal.
· Opportunity reasonably in advance of the hearing for the evaluator and evaluatee to adequately review all documents that are to be presented to the evaluation appeals panel.
· Right to presence of evaluatee’s chosen representative.
· All members of the Appeals Panel shall be current certified staff members of the Graves County School System. The entire certified staff elects the two members of the Appeals Panel and one is recommended by the superintendent and approved by the Board of Education.
· In the election of the Appeals Panel members, the persons receiving the first and second greatest number of votes district wide shall be members of the Appeals Panel. The person receiving the third and fourth greatest number of votes shall be designated as alternates.
· The superintendent shall appoint a member and an alternate to serve as chairperson of the Appeals Panel.
· The length of term for an Appeals Panel member shall be three (3) years. The panel members shall assume their responsibilities on October 1.
· The election shall be held and appointments made for the Appeals Panel during the month of September.
· The elections shall be conducted by the District Contact Person using the following criteria:
2. Secret Ballot
3. One person-one vote
· Any certified staff member who believes that he or she was not fairly evaluated on the summative evaluation may appeal to the panel within five (5) working days following receipt of the summative evaluation. The appeal shall be signed and in writing on the district “Evaluation Appeals Hearing Request Form” (attached).
· Upon receipt of a request for an appeal, the chairperson of the Appeals Panel shall notify the Appeals Panel members and schedule a hearing. The panel will notify the evaluator and the evaluatee of the time, date and place of the hearing. within three (3) working days from the date the appeal was filed.
· Following the hearing, the panel shall issue one of the following recommendations to the Superintendent within fifteen (15) working days from the date the appeal was filed.
1. Uphold the original evaluation.
2. Order a new evaluation by a second trained evaluator.
3. Remove all or part of the summative evaluation found to be in error and eliminate it from the official personnel record of the evaluatee.
· The panel will convene, conference and review all documentation presented by both parties.
· A copy of all documentation will be provided to both parties in advance of the hearing.
· Each party will be allowed to choose representatives.
· During the hearing, each party shall be allowed to make a statement of claim. The evaluatee will begin.
· The panel may question either party or witnesses during the hearing.
· Each party will be asked to make closing remarks.
· The panel will make closing remarks.
· The evaluatee may withdraw his/her appeal at any time during the appeals process. At any time during the appeals process, the evaluator may make adjustments to the evaluatee’s summative form if these adjustments are acceptable to the evaluatee.
· No panel member shall serve on any Appeals Panel considering an appeal for which he/she was the evaluator. Whenever a panel member or panel member’s immediate family appeals to the panel, the member may not serve for that appeal. Immediate family shall include father, mother, brother, sister, husband, wife, son daughter, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, grandparent, and corresponding in-laws. A panel member shall not hear an appeal filed by his/her immediate supervisor.
· Any certified staff member who feels that the local district is not implementing the evaluation plan according to the way it was approved by the Graves County Board of Education and State Board of Education shall have the opportunity to appeal to the State Board of Education.
EVALUATION APPEALS HEARING REQUEST FORM
My appeal challenges the summative findings on:
The date of the summative conference was ____________________________________.
The date the evaluator was notified of intent to appeal was _______________________.
I hereby give my consent for my evaluation records to be presented to the members of the Evaluation Appeal Panel for their study and review. I will appear before the Panel if requested.
This form shall be presented in person or by mail to any member of the district Evaluation Appeals Panel within five (5) working days within receipt of the summative evaluation.