Registrations for all Graves County Preschools are being held during February and March at the Graves County Head Start office at Central Elementary (across from Gilliam Thompson Furniture Store on Hwy 121). In order to attend preschool, a child must be either 3 or 4 years of age on or before August 1, 2018.
Please phone the Graves County Head Start Office at (270) 674-4905 or (270) 328-4905 to schedule your appointment time. Your child is not required to accompany you on this day.
Applications will also be accepted for Early Head Start. This program is designed to serve women who are currently pregnant and children birth to 3 years old and who meet Federal Income Guidelines. Transportation is not provided for the Early Head Start program.
IMPORTANT – You will not be allowed to register if you do not bring proof of all family income (or sign a statement that you know you are over-income and do not wish to be considered for income eligibility). If you have no family income, you will need a statement from another adult who provides your family with support (shelter, food, etc.).
Proof of income can include:
- last year’s W-2 or income tax form that shows gross income;
- pay stubs with the year-end total from 2017;
- letter from your employer stating your gross income;
- KTAP award letter from DCBS;
- unemployment compensation letter;
- child support– court-ordered documents or letter from the Office of Child Support or notarized letter from the absent parent with the amount of child support paid;
- Social Security, disability or SSI award letter.
Additionally, you will need to bring the following items:
- certified birth certificate and Social Security number of child
- insurance card or child’s medical card
- proof of custody, if applicable, is required.
If the child is in foster care, please bring court documents or a letter from the child’s caseworker.
Graves County Schools, in cooperation with Murray Head Start, will offer preschool programs for 3- and 4-year-old children in all elementary schools for the 2018-19 school year. Eligibility requirements include:
- Programs for 4-year-olds: must be age 4 by August 1 and meet eligibility 160% of Federal Income Guidelines.
- Special Needs Services: must be aged 3 or 4 during the school year, regardless of income and must meet the state guidelines for developmental delay or disability.
- Head Start Services: Must be age 3 or 4 by August 1 and must meet 100% of Federal Income Guidelines along with other family factors.
We offer ½ day and full day preschool programs in Graves County where breakfast and/or lunch will be provided based on enrollment type. Transportation is provided, if possible, by the Graves County School District. Preschool classrooms use a developmentally-appropriate curriculum and offer special education services, including specialized curriculum, speech therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and other related educational services. Health and dental screenings are provided and parent-training activities are available.